Using the Library
Reference Books in your library can give you authoritative dependable information quickly. Your local library keeps on hand medical and pharmaceutical handbooks, consumer buying guides, subject-specific encyclopedias, atlases and many more information-at-your-fingertips materials. Reference books cannot be checked out of the library, so they are always there for you to use. Ask your librarian for help; that is what librarians like to do most.
Evaluating Web Content
1. The author has expertise on the topic.
2. The source of the content is stated.
3. The content can be independently verified from other sources.
4. The information is current & the site maintained.
5. The site includes contact information.
Source:Cohen, Laura and Trudi Jacobson. 2008.Evaluating Web Content, library.albany.edu/usered/eval/evalweb/
Safe Surfing Tips
Usually people who request personal info use this to send you ads. But sometimes predators use this info to begin indecent or illegal relationships or to harm a person's or family's well-being. So:
- Remain as anonymous as possible. Never give out your full name, address, phone num., social security #, passwords, name of family members, or credit card info.
- Create an email or screen name with random numbers & letters that don't identify whether you're a guy or a girl.
- Meeting online friends in the real world carries more risks because people can easily pretend to be something they're not.
- If you get involved in a chatroom conversation that makes you feel uncomfortable for any reason, tell an adult right away so they can report the incident. The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children has a reporting form called CyberTipline.
- Cyberbullying refers to cruel/bullying messages sent to you online - maybe from former friends or others you know. It's better to ignore the messages than to answer them. If ignoring them doesn't make them go away, tell a parent, school counselor, or trusted adult - especially if the emails contain threats.
- If you don't recognize the sender of a document or file that needs to be downloaded, delete it without opening it. And make sure your virus protection software is up-to-date.