Since its creation the Friends organization has taken on the responsibility for its primary source of revenue, Book Bonanza. Its annual book sale has been incredibly successful and resulted in the Friends’ ability to provide welcome funds to the libraries.
In addition the organization has engaged in a variety of other ventures.
- The Friends contributed funds to the Berks County Community Foundation for use by the local library members of the System.
- Each year the organization provides at least $1000 per member library for its choice of programming.
- In addition the Friends pay for a program presented by the Yocum Institute for the Arts and available to each of the libraries for their summer programs.
- The Friends support local Friends groups by providing advice and funds for start-up activities.
- The Friends organization has invited popular authors to visit Berks County and speak to audiences at the Miller Center at RACC and at the Scottish Rite Cathedral. These included Jodie Picoult and Kathryn Stockett.
Berks Book Bonanza
The Friends' annual used-book sale with more than 100,000 hardcover and paperback books. There are children's books, classics, collectibles, teacher materials, reference items, audio, video, records, and puzzles. In non-fiction, there are books on history, biography, science, art, health, nature, hobbies, languages, sports and a large number of cookbooks. The fiction selection offers all genres while the collectibles area contains unique and special books; first editions, autographed copies, coffee table format, local interest and books by local authors as well.
Find out more information about Berks Book Bonanza by visiting the event website here. Volunteer options for sorting and the sale are available. You can follow along with the Friends of Berks County Public Libraries by liking them on Facebook.
To become a Friend, ask for the membership form and mail it with your check or money order to: Friends Of Berks County Public Libraries, P.O. Box 689, Leesport PA 19533-0689.
* Friend $10.00-$49.00 per calendar year
* Sponsor $50.00 - $99.00 per calendar year
* Benefactor $100.00 - $199.00 per calendar year
* Patron $200.00 + per calendar year